Staring down the criminal justice system can be a frightening prospect. A criminal conviction can dramatically change your life, hurting your reputation, damaging relationships, jeopardizing your freedom, and compromising your financial stability. Bottom line: Moving through the legal process without the assistance of an experienced Pacoima criminal defense lawyer could be the biggest mistake you’ll ever make.
At the Law Offices of Justin E. Sterling, we pride ourselves on being champions of the underdog. We understand that fighting the charges against you can feel like an uphill battle. Our tenacious criminal defense firm has a stellar track record of helping Californians achieve the most favorable results possible after an arrest. Contact us right away for a free consultation.
How Can Hiring a Criminal Defense Attorney Help You?
Navigating the California criminal justice system can be complicated and time-consuming. It takes tremendous resources to protect yourself and gather the evidence needed to build a compelling case with the best chance of earning a fair result. An experienced criminal defense lawyer in Pacoima has the unique skills and resources to protect your legal rights and design a strategic defense plan to fight the charges against you.
Types of Crimes Handled by a Criminal Defense Attorney
At the Law Offices of Justin E. Sterling, we have extensive experience representing clients accused of crimes like:
- Domestic violence
- Drug charges
- White-collar crimes
- Assault and battery
- Sex crimes
- Weapons charges
- Violent crimes
- Robbery, theft, and burglary
- Civil rights and police misconduct
If you’ve been charged with a criminal offense, discuss your situation with a seasoned Pacoima criminal defense attorney before talking with anyone else.
The Criminal Court Process
Getting an experienced criminal defense attorney on your side early in the legal process is crucial. The Law Offices of Justin E. Sterling will represent you from the time of your arrest until the case is closed, providing transparent communication and sound legal advice at each stage of the process.
Here’s how criminal cases work in California:
- Arrest – An arrest occurs when law enforcement officers apprehend an individual they suspect of committing a criminal offense.
- Booking – The process involves the arrested individual providing personal information, fingerprints, and photographs to law enforcement at a police station for processing.
- Arraignment – An arraignment is an individual’s first official court appearance. They are informed of the charges against them and can enter a plea to those charges.
- Bail or detention – Depending on the crime’s nature and the offense’s circumstances, an individual may be released on bail or held in law enforcement custody until trial.
- Pre-trial proceedings – During this stage, both the defense and prosecution work to build their cases. This process can include the gathering and exchanging of evidence and information. A defense attorney may also attempt to negotiate a plea agreement during this stage to avoid a trial.
- Trial – The case moves to trial if there is no plea agreement. Both sides argue their case to a judge or jury. Before determining guilt or innocence, the judge or jury reviews the presentations and available evidence.
- Sentencing – If an individual is found guilty and convicted of a criminal offense, the court imposes a sentence that can include fines, probation, and imprisonment.
- Appeal – If an individual or attorney believes in legal errors or misconduct during the process, they can appeal the verdict, asking a higher court to review the case.
Contact an Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney in California Now
Have you been charged with a crime? Do not wait to get top-quality legal representation on your side. Contact the Law Offices of Justin E. Sterling today and discuss your case with an aggressive Pacoima criminal defense attorney.