Common Types of Criminal Cases We Handle
Our criminal defense law firm handles a wide range of cases in state and federal courts throughout the Los Angeles area. Some of the common types of cases we take on include:
- Weapons charges: The State of California strictly regulates who may own guns, who may sell guns, and how guns may be used. Additionally, California treats crimes involving guns more harshly than those that don’t involve weapons. If you have been arrested on a weapons charge, you need an attorney who has extensive experience handling these types of cases.
- Domestic violence: The unlawful, uncontested touching of one’s spouse, partner, former partner, or co-inhabitant is a crime in California. There are two kinds of domestic violence in California: domestic battery and corporal injury. Domestic battery only involves the application of force, not requiring the victim to suffer bodily injury. A charge of corporal injury means the alleged victim suffered bodily harm. There are many potential defenses to a domestic violence accusation, particularly when it comes down to a he-said, she-said situation.
- Drug crimes: The State of California considers certain narcotics and pharmaceuticals threats to society, taking into consideration factors such as addiction potential and medicinal use. These controlled substances include drugs such as methamphetamines, heroin, cocaine, certain prescription medicines, and others. If you have been accused of possessing, selling, trafficking, or manufacturing a controlled substance, you need a seasoned Beverly Hills drug crimes attorney on your side.
- Violent crimes: Crimes involving violence can carry extremely harsh penalties. Our defense firm works with people who are facing prison time for crimes such as murder, manslaughter, assault with a deadly weapon, and battery.
- Sex crimes: California criminalizes sex acts that lack consent and those involving minors. A conviction for certain sex offenses requires the convicted person to register as a sex offender for 10 years, 20 years, or for life. Our firm fights for the rights and reputation of people who have been accused of rape, sexual assault, forced copulation, lewd acts in public, and statutory rape.
- Assault and battery: The terms assault and battery are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different crimes. Assault is defined an attempt to inflict force on another individual, but the attempt does not have to be successful. Battery describes the actual infliction of force on another. Our firm has a strong track record of getting these types of charges reduced or dismissed.
- Homicide: Generally speaking, there are three kinds of homicide – first-degree murder, second-degree murder, and manslaughter. A conviction on any of these charges triggers severe penalties. That’s why it is crucial to have a proven defense attorney who has successfully defended homicide cases before.
- Gang crimes: California criminalizes gang activity. You may be charged under this statute if you are alleged to have committed a felony while participating in a gang or committed a crime to benefit a gang. If you have been accused of a gang-related crime, the Law Offices of Justin E. Sterling can help. We have years of experience defending clients facing these types of charges
- Robbery, theft, and burglary: These three terms are often used interchangeably, but they are three different offenses. Robbery involves the taking of property from a person’s immediate presence using force or fear. Burglary does not actually require the taking of property. Rather, it only necessitates the entry of private property with the intention of committing a felony. Theft is simply the taking of someone else’s property. No matter which charge you are facing, a knowledgeable defense attorney from our firm can help you identify all the possible strategies to fight it.
- White-collar crimes: Our law firm has a long track record of fighting accusations of embezzlement, fraud, and other white-collar crimes in Beverly Hills. As soon as you suspect you are under investigation in a white-collar crime case, you should seek trusted legal representation. There will be many opportunities for an attorney to help protect you, even before you are formally charged with a crime.
- DUI: It is against the law in California to operate a motor vehicle while intoxicated. If you are accused of killing or injuring someone while driving under the influence, you may be facing life-altering penalties. An experienced Beverly Hills DUI defense lawyer from our firm can assess the case against you and develop a defense strategy aimed at achieving the best possible outcome.
- Probation or parole violations: Oftentimes, people violate the terms of their probation or parole without even knowing it. Simple mistakes can result in major consequences. Our Beverly Hills criminal defense team works with people who find themselves in trouble over alleged probation of parole violations.
- Expungements: No one should be forever haunted by their past. That’s why California allows certain offenders to qualify for expungement of their criminal record. If you believe you qualify to have your criminal record expunged, contact the Law Offices of Justin E. Sterling to learn how we can help you wipe the slate clean.
- Civil rights violations: Unfortunately, civil rights violations still occur at every level of the criminal justice system. If your civil rights were abused during an arrest or incarceration, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact us today to discuss your options.
Penalties for a Criminal Conviction
The severity of criminal penalties hinges on whether the offense is a misdemeanor or a felony. Misdemeanor convictions carry a maximum 1-year jail sentence. Felony convictions have prison sentences longer than a year. Sentences also often include expensive fines for the offender.
Beyond incarceration and monetary penalties, a convicted person may be forced to forfeit certain civil rights, such as the right to own a gun and obtain a professional license. A conviction may also hurt a person’s chances of finding employment and housing, even after they have served their official sentence.
How Our Beverly Hills Criminal Defense Attorney Can Help You
When facing serious criminal charges, you understandably have a lot on your mind. An experienced criminal defense attorney in Beverly Hills can take some of the pressure off you. At the Law Offices of Justin E. Sterling, we can review the details of your case and give you a straightforward rundown of what to expect. We can explain the potential defenses and possible outcomes so you can make informed decisions about your next steps.
Contact the Law Offices of Justin E. Sterling today to set up a free and confidential consultation.