Have you been arrested or charged with a crime in El Monte? Are you worried about what to say to the police, whether you’ll go to jail, or what your friends and family will think about you?
A criminal defense attorney can be your ally and advocate from the moment of arrest through the entire legal process, including trial. You have the right to legal representation from the very beginning. Ask for a lawyer so you are not left to navigate the criminal justice system alone. Then, contact the Law Offices of Justin E. Sterling for a free consultation with a skilled criminal defense lawyer in El Monte.
Why Should I Choose a Local El Monte Criminal Defense Attorney?
After an arrest, it can be hard to figure out where to turn and who to trust. Always start with a lawyer. When you consult with a criminal defense attorney, the information you share is protected by law. This is called attorney-client privilege, which provides reassurance that what you say to your attorney is confidential. You could even confess to the crime and it would remain private.
Working with an El Monte criminal defense attorney can benefit you because:
- Your rights get protected – You are guaranteed certain rights to ensure fair treatment under the law. Violations during your arrest, such as unlawful searches or coerced confessions, could result in evidence against you being suppressed at trial or even a dismissal of your charges.
- Your lawyer knows the area courts – Local lawyers work with the county prosecutors and local judges daily. These professional relationships can benefit you when your lawyer engages in negotiations and strategizes for trial.
- You get the best chance of a favorable outcome – A criminal defense attorney’s job is to protect you. Defendants have a much better chance of securing reduced charges and dismissals with an attorney’s help. Lawyers know the procedural rules that can ensure you are treated fairly in court.
What Should I Do If I am Facing Criminal Charges in El Monte?
Your first step after being arrested should be to call a criminal defense attorney in Los Angeles County. Until your lawyer is present, it’s best to remain silent. Police and prosecutors can use anything you tell them against you later.
Next, it’s crucial to keep your case private. Do not share any details of the case with anyone, even family and friends. Even the most trusted loved ones could accidentally say something that jeopardizes your case if they are questioned later.
What are the Consequences of a Criminal Conviction?
A criminal conviction can have repercussions that follow you for the rest of your life, including:
- Jail or prison time
- A criminal record that could affect your ability to get a job, find a place to live, or receive college loans
- Loss of reputation in your community