If you’ve been arrested or charged with a crime, you’re likely worried about facing a judge, whether you’ll go to jail, or what your friends and family may think of you. A criminal defense lawyer in Catalina, California, can be a critical ally during this challenging time, advocating for you and devising strategies tailored to your unique situation.
The Role of a Criminal Defense Attorney in Catalina
The Sixth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution guarantees anyone accused of a crime to have representation by legal counsel. Your criminal defense lawyer can stand up for you throughout the criminal court process. They represent your interests and protect your rights.
The legal system can be intimidating and overwhelming. A Catalina criminal defense attorney can make it less so by:
- Listening to your story
- Outlining the potential consequences of a conviction
- Protecting your interests during police questioning, including advising you when to remain silent
- Gathering evidence to support your defense
- Filing all necessary motions for your case
- Interviewing witnesses to the alleged crime
- Preparing you for testimony in court
- Negotiating a plea deal, if appropriate
- Representing you at trial, if necessary
Your legal protection can start from the moment of your arrest. Once you’re charged with a crime, you do not have to answer police questions. Instead, you may ask for a lawyer. You have the right to remain silent. Let your lawyer handle all communications with police and prosecutors instead.
Types of Criminal Cases
The Law Office of Justin E. Sterling handles a broad range of criminal cases, including:
- Theft or petty theft, shoplifting, and grand larceny
- Homicide, manslaughter, or murder
- Assault and aggravated assault
- Battery or aggravated battery
- White-collar crimes like embezzlement or fraud
- Child abuse
- Arson and other property crimes
- DUI/ DWI
- Drug crimes
- Firearm crimes
- Sex crimes, including sexual assault, prostitution, or solicitation
We handle both misdemeanor and felony charges, fighting hard for the best possible outcome for your case.
Legal Rights of Defendants in California
All criminal defendants in California are afforded the same protections guaranteed by the Sixth Amendment. These include:
- The right to a speedy and public trial, with an impartial jury, in the jurisdiction where the crime occurred
- The right to know the charges against them
- The right to a defense attorney
- The right to face accusers or witnesses against them
- The right to obtain witnesses in their favor
Other legal protections for the criminally accused include:
- Protection from cruel and unusual punishment
- The right to remain silent during police questioning
- The right to decline to answer questions that could incriminate you
An experienced criminal defense lawyer will ensure your rights are upheld at every stage of the legal process.
How Our Catalina, California Criminal Defense Attorney Can Help
You don’t have to defend yourself alone. Get advice from the legal team at the Law Offices of Justin E. Sterling. Contact us today for a free consultation with a criminal defense attorney in Catalina, CA.